Monday, March 11, 2013

Amish Friendship Bread


Amish Friendship Bread


So I was talking with my sister-in-law this last week about some bread ideas and she asked me if I had ever heard of "Amish Friendship Bread." Apparently its a pretty big thing so I decided I would do a bit of research.

As you can imagine, the Amish Friendship Bread has its origins in the Pennsylvania area where a heavy Amish population resides. The bread itself is said to be similar to a sourdough starter. The main idea behind this friendship bread is that it is to be shared like a "pass-it-on" sort of email. One receives the starter, feeds it, creates enough for him or herself, then passes what is left over to friends and family for them to do the same. Its really a great idea and one that I would like to start.
After doing a bit of research I found this little gem of a website: http://www.armchair.com/store/gourmet/am1.html , where you can actually buy your own Amish Bread starter. Keep in mind this is not exactly the same starter as the original Amish starter, but it is said to be very close.


(Photo from http://blogmyheartandhome.wordpress.com/category/organizing/10-steps/step-eight/)
This photo is one of the more popular recipes using the Amish Starter. Its a cinnamon apple bread that is, from what I hear, second to NONE! Below are some links to some great recipes you can purchase for VERY cheap! Go ahead and take a look at these great Amish Bread ideas.

[Solved] Amish Recipes Books: All In One Cakes, Bread, Muffin, Corn Fritter Recipes [2013 Revision]
51 Delicious Amish Recipes: 51 Tasty Amish Cooking Recipes Including The Famous Recipe For Amish Friendship Bread, Amish Starter Bread, And Many Other Delicious Homemade Recipes!
Special Bread Recipes