Thursday, April 11, 2013

Smoked Pork Carnitas!

Ok… so you’ve made your pulled pork, everyone loved it, but now you have the left-overs. What do you do with them? I’ve tried a lot of different things, I’ve tried sprinkling some of the meat in an omelet, mixing it in some baked beans, obviously sandwiches are always good a second day in a row as well.
I wanted something different though, I was done with the easy leftover meals. I wanted something I could use my pulled pork leftovers with and still get that “wow factor”. I chose to try my hand at some Smoked Pork Carnitas…. I chose correctly, these are to die for.
This is a really easy recipe, get out your cast iron pan (if you don’t have one, seriously, you need one) and throw a little Crisco in there (you don’t need much, enough to coat the bottom of the pan), heat the pan slowly and melt the Crisco.
Throw in the pork and fry everything up until everything is sizzling and crispy, remove and serve.
 Remember, the pork already has a lot of flavor from the smoke and the rub, if you would like, you can add more flavorings (Marjaoram, Thyme, Mexican Oregano, Chili Powder etc.) while you are frying, but I find that it comes out just fine with the original flavorings.
This method of using your leftover pork is great; it brings a whole new dimension to the previously smoked pork. If it lasts long enough (this will be tough because you’ll be picking at it as soon as you can) throw it on a tortilla with a diced onion, some good salsa (maybe a tomatillo salsa), a little guacamole and some cilantro and you’ll be in Mexican heaven. Enjoy!
JAY

All you need to know about barbecue